The American Fire Sprinkler Association (AFSA) is always on the look-out for fire sprinkler industry and association professionals who are interested in serving as part-time executive directors for our regional chapters throughout the United States and Canada.
The AFSA is a non-profit, trade association representing merit shop fire sprinkler contractors, dedicated to the educational advancement of its members and promotion of the use of automatic fire sprinkler systems.
AFSA’s national office in Dallas works closely with each chapter throughout the United States and Canada to augment local, grassroots activities with training, consulting, communication, representation and many more services, all of which have expanded over its existence.
The Chapter Executive Director works part-time to coordinate activities, increase and maintain membership, and to work with the elected board of each chapter as well as the AFSA national office to promote the merit shop fire sprinkler industry.
The position requires 8-12 hours per week with the potential of 16-20 hours for major event work. The chapter’s primary base of operations is will vary from state to state. Qualified candidates must be able to organize and attend events. The executive director will work independently from a home office.
This position will be responsible for all aspects of chapter management including lunch meetings, annual golf tournament, and other events as determined by chapter leadership. Strong attention to detail, sponsorship generation, and membership development is greatly desired.
Occasional travel within the region and to AFSA national events is expected. This position reports to the chapter chair and the board of directors.
Board of Directors
- Communicate weekly with the chair on board issues
- Communicate with the executive committee and board on regular basis
- Plan board meetings and related events
- Develop the board agenda with chair
- Prepare board packet material for monthly board meetings
- Coordinate strategic planning with the board
- Email regular board updates
- Coordinate monthly meeting with the chair and board
- Liaison between the board and AFSA national staff
- Set annual schedule of monthly meetings
- Schedule speakers for monthly or quarterly meetings
- Coordinate monthly/quarterly meeting with facility for room and meals
- Promote monthly meeting with a newsletter/flyer
- Coordinate monthly meeting with the chair/board
- Setup Budget Committee meeting annually to revise budget
- Review monthly financials with an accountant and/or board
- Provide monthly financials to the Executive Committee
- Coordinate annual audit with an accountant
- Approve all check requests
- Co-sign or prepare all checks for chair or another designated signer
- Coordinate training and education with the board
- Coordinate non-dues revenue events with the board
- Set annual schedule of training and events
- Set budget for training and events
- Promote events with newsletter, flyer, etc.
- Strategize for local chapter’s growth and development
- Develop methods for promoting chapter’s work through national industry trade media
- Develop methods for promoting chapter’s work in local/regional media
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, social media, and web applications is preferred
- Meeting and event planning experience a plus, but not required
- Familiarity with all legal aspects of management to include IRS filings, financial reporting, and sales and use tax transactions a plus but not required
- Sprinkler industry or other construction trade experience a plus, but not required
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Kevin D. Korenthal via email: firstname.lastname@example.org