At the American Fire Sprinkler Association (AFSA), we’re helping shape a safer future. Our team helps members succeed through education and support to create innovative solutions to help their businesses thrive and make their operations more efficient. We are passionate about saving lives and property.
Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, AFSA was organized in 1981 to provide merit shop fire sprinkler contractors with training, consulting, communication, representation and other services--all of which have expanded and continue to grow. Membership is open to contractors, manufacturers, suppliers, designers, and Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs). AFSA represents companies and individuals in the United States and throughout the world.
Our Vice President, Engineering & Technical Services plays a key role both at AFSA and in the automatic fire sprinkler industry as a technical leader and expert in the field. AFSA members rely on the knowledge and skills of this individual to assist them in successfully carrying out their work. And our team is seeking an individual who wants to lead a talented technical team and be part of the executive staff entrusted with leading AFSA into its next successful ventures as it approaches its 40th year.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements a strategy for the Technical Department in alignment with our Association’s strategic plan.
- Supervises AFSA’s Technical Services’ staff to ensure operational success in delivering on our mission.
- Oversees informal interpretations process and reviews interpretations provided to members by AFSA’s Technical Services Department for accuracy.
- Lead role in identification and implementation of programs and services offered through the AFSA Technical Services Department, including Design School and Inspection, Testing & Maintenance (ITM) training.
- Presents and moderates courses, seminars, and webinars on various technical topics.
- Authors and reviews technical articles for AFSA publications, including digital media.
- Publishes position papers/technical positions, as needed.
- Builds professional network of experts with whom to achieve AFSA objectives and fire sprinkler industry goals; provides leads to AFSA staff for authors, speakers, reviewers, etc.
- Directs AFSA’s efforts on various national fronts relative to codes, standards, legislation, and regulations. Possesses strong knowledge of building codes and industry standards. Plays key role on editing/writing specifications and input on standards.
- Manages AFSA’s representation on national committees and panels, including NFPA, ICC, UL, etc. Serves on various committees as a key contributor representing the fire sprinkler industry.
- Prepares and presents technical reports to a variety of audiences, including the AFSA Board.
- Enhances AFSA’s reputation and the fire sprinkler industry as a whole through visibility as the “technical voice of fire sprinkler contractors.” Reflects Association’s values, including promotion of open shop, merit-based fire sprinkler contractors and other members whom we serve.
- Stays current on professional knowledge and competencies; increases value to AFSA by participating in relevant professional development opportunities.
Key Competencies & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering and/or Fire Protection Engineering (FPE). *
- Masters, or advanced, degree desirable.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) preferred but not required.
- NICET Level III or IV certification preferred but not required.
- Requires minimum of 10 years as an engineer (OR a minimum of 15+ years’ direct-related work experience). Experience working with local AHJs is highly desirable.
*15+ years of highly relevant experience may be considered in lieu of an engineering degree
AFSA Headquarters is a professional office located in Dallas, Texas. While this position does not require the individual to work from our Dallas HQ, it is preferable. Some travel required, mostly domestic U.S.
Salary & Benefits:
A competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with education, skills, and experience. A generous benefits package will also be provided, with additional company perks, such as paid parking.
This position is slated to begin immediately following conclusion of successful search. Please provide the following items in PDF form by Monday, September 23, 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A cover letter detailing your experience and why you would like to play a key role in advancing the mission of AFSA in the years ahead. Please include your salary requirement and ability to relocate if not located in the Dallas area.
- A resume, which includes your education, professional experience, achievements, and organizational involvement.
AFSA is proud to be an EEO employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to characteristics protected by applicable local, state or federal law, such as race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information or sexual orientation.