At the American Fire Sprinkler Association (AFSA), we’re helping shape a safer future. Our team helps members succeed through education and support to create innovative solutions to help their businesses thrive and make their operations more efficient. We are passionate about saving lives and property.
Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, AFSA was organized in 1981 to provide merit shop fire sprinkler contractors with training, consulting, communication, representation and other services--all of which have expanded and continue to grow. Membership is open to contractors, manufacturers, suppliers, designers, and Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs).
Our Manager, Engineering & Technical Services uses his/her considerable knowledge and vast experience in the fire sprinkler industry to support AFSA members, who rely on this individual to assist them in successfully carrying out their work. We are seeking a talented professional who wants to be part of an innovative, growing technical team serving fire sprinkler companies and individuals in the United States and throughout the world.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists with managing on-site day-to-day operations.
- Provides verbal and written informal interpretations for AFSA members; reviews others’ work for technical accuracy.
- Instructs Design School and other training programs offered through the AFSA Technical Services Department.
- Creates content for new educational programs, and updates content, such as with eCampus, to ensure accuracy and relevancy of material being presented. Works collaboratively with other Subject Matter Experts, as needed.
- Presents seminars and webinars on various topics.
- Answers technical questions from AFSA members and staff.
- Drafts articles and provides information for AFSA publications, including digital media.
- Serves on committees and panels, including NFPA technical committees.
- Possesses functional knowledge of building codes and industry standards. Assists with editing/writing specifications; provides input on standards, as requested.
- Prepares and presents technical reports.
- Promotes AFSA and interfaces with educational institutions that have Fire Protection & Safety Engineering Technology programs.
- Enhances AFSA’s reputation and the fire sprinkler industry as a whole through performance of job responsibilities. Reflects Association’s values at all times, including promotion of open shop, merit-based fire sprinkler contractors.
- Updates job knowledge and technical expertise by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, participating in technical organizations, and obtaining certifications in area of expertise.
Key Competencies & Skills:
- Performs high-quality work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work well independently, as well as part of a team.
- Capable of performing management functions, as directed.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Mathematical aptitude; engineering calculation and simulation software desirable.
- Prioritizes tasks and meet deadlines through effective time management.
- Strong troubleshooting and critical thinking skills.
- Member service-oriented; passionate about helping members succeed.
- Computer-proficient (Microsoft Office Suite; fire modeling and other advanced software desirable).
- Commitment to excellence and professionalism.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Fire Protection Engineering *
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) preferred but not required.
- NICET Level III or IV certification preferred but not required.
- Requires minimum of 5 years as an engineer (OR a minimum of 10+ years’ direct-related work experience). Experience working with local AHJs is highly desirable.
*Relevant experience equivalent to that typically taught in a 4+-year program may be considered in lieu of a degree.
AFSA Headquarters is a professional office located in Dallas, Texas. This position requires the individual to be based on-site at our Dallas HQ.
Some travel required, mostly domestic U.S.
Salary & Benefits:
A competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with education, skills, and experience. A generous benefits package will also be provided, with additional company perks, such as paid parking.
This position is slated to begin immediately following conclusion of successful search.
Please provide the following items in PDF form by Monday, January 6, 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A cover letter detailing your experience and why you would like to play a key role in advancing the mission of AFSA in the years ahead. Please include your salary requirement and ability to relocate if not already located in the Dallas area.
- A resume, which includes your education, professional experience, achievements, and organizational involvement.
AFSA is proud to be an EEO employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to characteristics protected by applicable local, state or federal law, such as race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information or sexual orientation.