AFSA National Apprentice Competition
AFSA sponsors an Annual National Apprentice Competition. Seven finalists, apprentices representing member companies from across the country, compete to become the winner of this national competition. These contestants take a practical test in the Exhibit Hall during the AFSA Exhibition each year, as they cut, thread and install a steel & CPVC piping system with sprinkler heads and perform a pressure test. You will have the opportunity to see this competition from beginning to end.
The seven finalists receive:
- an expense-paid trip to compete at AFSA36: Convention, Exhibition and Apprentice Competition in Las Vegas;
- accommodations at the Las Vegas premier hotel, Bellagio
- a free full convention registration for each finalist’s employer
- cash award ($1,000, $2,000, $3,000, or even $5,000)
- brand new set of hand tools
Don’t miss this most exciting event!
March 31, 2017 – Entry Form Deadline
Entry forms must be submitted no later than March 31, 2017.
Deadline has been extended from March 24.
June 10, 2017 – Phase I National Competition
A written exam will be provided by AFSA and will be administered at a predetermined location. Held at your local library or fire department, Phase I of the National Competition will consist of a two-hour multiple choice exam.
September 27, 2017 – Phase II National Competition
Held at AFSA36: Convention, Exhibition, and Apprentice Competition in Las Vegas, NV, Phase II of the National Competition will consist of a three-hour exam, as well as the requirement to cut, thread and install a steel and CPVC piping system with sprinkler heads followed by performance of a pressure test. Participants will be graded on accuracy, craftsmanship and safety.
Each “Top 7” Finalist will win:
- Full registration to AFSA36: Convention, Exhibition, and Apprentice Competition
- A 2nd full registration to AFSA36 for their Employer
- An expense-paid trip to Las Vegas, NV
- Accommodations at the Las Vegas premier hotel, Bellagio
- Set of brand new hand tools
- $1,000+ cash prize
1st Place Winner:
- $5,000 Cash Prize
2nd Place Winner:
- $3,000 Cash Prize
3rd Place Winner:
- $2,000 Cash Prize
Apprentice is NOT required to be 21 years of age to compete.
All eligible apprentices are encouraged to compete!
- Apprentice’s employer must be a member of AFSA, in good standing.
- Apprentice must be actively participating in the AFSA Apprenticeship Courses or enrolled in NCCER/AFSA Fire Sprinkler Fitting Training Series. If an apprentice intends to complete this course work prior to September 27, 2017, he/she is not eligible to compete in AFSA’s National Apprenticeship Competition.
- Apprentice must have at least one year of field experience with a MINIMUM of 6 months combined HANDS ON experience in cutting, threading and installing steel pipe AND CPVC pipe.
- Prior to September 27, 2017, the apprentice cannot have worked in the sprinkler trade hanging pipe for more than five years.
- If an apprentice has won first, second, or third place in AFSA’s National Apprenticeship Competition, he/she is not eligible to compete.
- Apprentices must live within the 48 contiguous states of the United States of America (USA).
- An employer can enter as many employees as are eligible from his/her company.
- If an apprentice resigns employment from original sponsoring company after June 10, 2017, he/she is not eligible to compete.
- The apprentices scoring in the top 7 of the National Competition (Phase I) will qualify to compete in Las Vegas, NV, at the National Competition (Phase II) during AFSA36: Convention, Exhibition, and Apprentice Competition provided no more than three (3) apprentices compete from the same membership region. In this case, the top three (3) scoring apprentices from a region will compete.
- If more than one apprentice from the same company scores in the top 7 of the National Competition (Phase I), then a maximum of two apprentices from that company will be qualified to compete in the National Competition (Phase II) provided the apprentices are in different regions. In this case, the two qualifying apprentices will be identified by having the top scores in their region.
- No production filming or tripod set-up will be permitted during the national competition.
2016 Apprentice Competition Champions
Jonathan Offord, a fire sprinkler fitter apprentice with Commonwealth Fire Protection in Leola, Pennsylvania, took first place and a $5,000 cash prize at the American Fire Sprinkler Association’s (AFSA) 23rd Annual National Apprentice Competition. The contest was a featured event during AFSA’s 35th Annual Convention & Exhibition, A Grand Ole Opportunity: AFSA in Nashville, held September 14-17 in Nashville, Tennessee. More than 1,200 attendees watched as seven apprentices constructed and pressure-tested a miniature sprinkler system in the jam-packed exhibition hall.