Education: A degree in fire protection engineering highly desirable. Other engineering degrees acceptable with sufficient fire protection experience.
Experience: 5+ yrs with water based fire protection systems, especially sprinkler systems. Must have a detailed understanding of the primary NFPA standards and the ability to explain technical concepts and NFPA criteria. Experience in developing and presenting seminars desirable.
Some travel required.
Minimum Registration: Ability to obtain PE. If not registered, NICET III or IV in Sprinkler Layout desirable
Location: Dallas, Texas
Benefits: Medical insurance (including visual and dental). Paid 100% by AFSA for employee. Available for family.
This position is part of the AFSA Technical Department reporting to Senior Vice President of Engineering Roland Huggins, PE.
- Providing verbal and written informal interpretations for AFSA members
- Participation on NFPA technical committees (TC)
- Direct participation on the TCs
- Heavy focus on improving the standards (submitting changes)
- Conducting technical studies in support of proposed changes to the NFPA standards
- Experience with fire modelling desirable
- Writing technical articles
- Participation on UL Standard Technical Panels
- Support of AFSA Design school
- Presenting seminars and webinars on varies topics
- AFSA Chapters, AFSA convention, NFPA convention
- Technical content of eCampus (AFSA recorded on-line training)
- Expanded the program: available lessons, type of interface
- Update existing lessons
Participating on research projects with the Fire Protection Research Foundation
There is some fluidity in the job description to allow for the development of items of personal professional interest.
Job description 10/6/17