The American Fire Sprinkler Association, based in Dallas, Texas is seeking an experienced and motivated person to fill the position of President and CEO, the chief staff executive position on AFSA's staff. The President reports to the Chairman of the Board and is responsible for fulfilling the goals and mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
Resumes will be accepted until SEPTEMBER 7, 2018.
- Minimum four-year baccalaureate degree from a recognized college or university, with a degree in business/management, communications, marketing, political science, public sector management or fire protection (CAE, MBA or other advanced education is a plus);
- Association management or business experience of at least ten years of progressive and relevant leadership experience and a demonstrated record of successful management experience.
- A minimum of five years of management-level experience in business, nonprofit or trade association at the Director-level or above.
- A minimum of three years experience in a senior management position such as CEO, COO, CFO or Vice President of a business, nonprofit or trade association;
- Solid budget and financial management experience, including budget preparation, monitoring, analysis, and reporting;
- Experience with supervising staff of seven or more employees;
- Experience as liaison to the Board or major committee;
- Experience in public advocacy through legislative efforts, regulatory involvement or promotional campaigns.
BACKGROUND AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to speak in public to address a wide variety of audiences to promote fire sprinklers and fire safety;
- Transparent leadership and personal and professional integrity;
- Supervisory experience overseeing support staff members;
- Experience with association member recruitment and retention;
- Willingness to travel extensively;
- While not required, knowledge of the fire protection or construction industry is a plus;
This is a full-time position located in Dallas, Texas and residency in the Dallas area will be required. The position requires 80 to 100 days of travel per year, including weekends and short-notice travel. Overtime and occasional evening/weekend work required.
Salary is commensurate with experience, within the framework of the organization’s annual operating budget. Assistance with relocation expenses will be negotiated based on an offer of employment.
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. To avoid conflicts of interest and scheduling, additional outside income from consulting or business services is prohibited. Salary is commensurate with experience, plus potential year-end bonuses when the association reaches financial goals. 401(k), medical/dental/vision/disability insurance, and other benefits are available to qualified employees.
AFSA is an international association representing merit shop fire sprinkler contractors, dedicated to the educational advancement of its members and promotion of the use of automatic fire sprinkler systems. AFSA was organized in 1981 to provide the merit shop fire sprinkler contractor with training, consulting, communication, representation and many more services, all of which have expanded over its existence. AFSA has a staff of 22, and an annual budget of approximately $5 million. In addition, AFSA has over 30 state and regional chapters in the U. S. and Canada.
Steve Muncy, a retired past president of AFSA, has been retained to facilitate the search and review process and will work with the AFSA Search Committee to identify the best candidates for a personal interview. All questions and information should be submitted to Muncy at the email address shown below. In order to assure a fair and impartial review of all candidates, direct communication with staff or members of the Search Committee or the AFSA Board of Directors will result in disqualification.
Deadline for receipt of your credentials is SEPTEMBER 7, 2018.
Please send a cover letter outlining your qualifications including contact information, salary requirements and credentials contained in a SINGLE MERGED PDF FILE to: firstname.lastname@example.org